Who sent up AZ trial balloon for new #PrisonIndustrialComplex revenue stream? @AP??

Arizona picks company to review Wood execution

PHOENIX AP – The Arizona Department of Corrections has chosen a firm to review its investigation of the nearly two-hour execution of Joseph Rudolph Wood …

The department is not commenting while the review is ongoing. The proposed cost by Carter Goble Lee is $62,680.

via Arizona picks company to review Wood execution.

————————————————-

I went to the Associated Press’ website to see if they had duly reported that Carter Goble Lee, according to their own PR, apparently has no related experience or expertise that would ensure Arizona taxpayers a reasonable outcome for their $62,680.

The AP’s search engine was non-productive, at least as regards this particular facet of this particular Arizona execution.

Arizonans aren’t the only ones routinely fleeced in the name of justice, every ordinary American pays through the nose for swift, sure justice, only to have justice become less swift and sure by the hour.

It has to stop.

The Associated Press is a tax exempt organization.

If  the AP indeed sent up a trial balloon for an inappropriate new revenue stream for international Prison Industrial Complex player CGL, it ought get caught.

And punished.

No entity has any inherent right to tax exemption.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Maria Fernandes won’t celebrate Labor Day. Ever. #WorkedToDeath

Maria Fernandes (Photo courtesy of Elizabeth police department)

Woman working 4 jobs to make ends meet dies while napping in car between shifts — RT USA

A New Jersey woman who worked four jobs, who sometimes “wouldn’t sleep for five days,” according to a co-worker, died Monday while napping between shifts in her car on the side of the road.

Maria Fernandes died in her 2001 Kia Sportage after inhaling carbon monoxide and fumes from an overturned gas container she kept in the car, according to the New York Daily News.

via Woman working 4 jobs to make ends meet dies while napping in car between shifts — RT USA.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , | 3 Comments

Reprieve: G4S Guantanamo contract ‘breaches UK policy’

Reprieve (+44) 7792 351 660
For immediate release: Sun Aug 31, 2014
G4S Guantanamo contract ‘breaches UK policy’ 

The government is being asked to take action against British firm G4S, after it emerged the company has won a £71m contract to provide a range of ‘base support’ services at Guantánamo Bay.

Legal charity Reprieve, which assists Guantánamo prisoners such as British resident Shaker Aamer, has submitted a dossier of evidence to the UK’s responsible business watchdog, the National Contact Point for the OECD Guidelines (UK NCP). The submission argues that by providing ‘essential’ services at the prison, G4S will be contravening British government policy that the prison must be closed, as well as the OECD’s guidelines for responsible business conduct.

Support services form an important part of a complex regime of mistreatment at Guantánamo, and the broad scope of the G4S contract – which includes ‘vehicles’, ‘custodial’, and ‘limited facilities support’ – has raised concerns that G4S will be directly complicit in abuses such as force-feeding.

Last week, several detainees protesting their detention without charge alerted their Reprieve lawyers to a new crackdown by the Guantánamo authorities. Mr Aamer was reportedly beaten, while another detainee’s hand was broken.

The British government maintains that the prison must close, and that Mr Aamer should be returned home to London. Prime Minister David Cameron has said that Guantánamo “has actually helped to radicalise people and make our country and our world less safe”, while elsewhere the prison has been called “a shocking affront to democracy.”

Kevin Lo, Reprieve investigator, said: “Serious abuses are happening every day at Guantanamo Bay, supported by the most innocuous-sounding services. G4S needs to be much clearer about what it will be providing to the prison under this very broad contract. Will G4S vehicles be transporting force-feeding supplements, restraint chairs – even detainees? The UK government – given its position that Guantanamo must close – should be demanding answers.”

Notes to editors

1. For further information, including copies of Reprieve’s UK NCP complaint, please contact Alice Gillham in Reprieve’s press office: alice.gillham@reprieve.org.uk / +44 7792 351 660

 

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

▶ Christopher Lopez – Mentally ill inmate died while in prison – YouTube

▶ Christopher Lopez – Mentally ill inmate died while in prison – YouTube.

There are few illnesses that prisons are equipped to adequately treat.

Least among them is mental illness.

This is universally known.

This is universally denied.

There is money to be made in treating mental illness as a crime.

A lawsuit has been filed. Damages will likely be awarded. They will be paid by the public, not by those who profit from treating mental illness as a crime.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Fair Food Fest

Originally posted on Deconstructing Myths:

View original

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

.@BarackObama: Name 10 CIA rendition victims, as requested. #transparency

Reprieve (+44) 207 553 8160  For immediate release: Fri Aug 29, 2014
Ten CIA rendition victims urge Obama to name them in Senate torture report

Ten victims of CIA rendition and torture have signed an open letter to President Obama asking him to declassify the upcoming Senate report into the program. Two of the signatories – Abdel-Hakim Belhadj and Sami al-Saadi – were rendered with their entire families, including a pregnant woman and four children between the ages of six and twelve.

“Despite living thousands of miles apart and leading different lives today, a shared experience unites us: the CIA abducted each of us in the past and flew us to secret prisons for torture. Some of us were kidnapped with our pregnant wives or children. All of us were later released without charge, redress or apology from the US. We now want the American public to read that story, in full, and without redactions”, says the letter, coordinated by international human rights charity Reprieve.

The Senate Select Committee on Intelligence (SSCI) has produced the most extensive report into the CIA’s torture program to date. The publication of the report’s executive summary has been delayed because of a dispute between Senators and the CIA over the extent of black-outs, or ‘redactions’, from the public version. The SSCI has indicated that the report contains no sensitive names – that pseudonyms were substituted for agents and countries. The CIA has reportedly sought to have even pseudonyms, such as ‘Country A’, redacted from the public version of the report.

Tensions between the SSCI and the CIA have run high since it emerged that the CIA spied on top Senate staffers involved with the report, an act Sen. Dianne Feinstein said “may well have violated the separation of powers principles embodied in the United States Constitution.” CIA Director John Brennan initially denied these charges – a denial he later retracted when the CIA’s Inspector General found the charges of agency spying to be correct.

The report – and the final say over the extent of any redactions – is now thought to be on the desk of the White House. During a speech on August 1, President Obama offered a rare comment about the CIA’s torture program since taking office, saying simply that after September 11, the US government had “tortured some folks.” Generally, however, individual victims of CIA rendition have not been identified.

None of the ten signatories, all victims of CIA rendition, have been officially acknowledged by the US government. They include Mr Belhadj, a former opponent of Col. Muammar Gaddafi, who was rendered to a Libyan prison and tortured alongside his heavily pregnant wife Fatima Boudchar. Speaking to the Guardian yesterday, Belhadj said, “I ask that there be admission of what went on or an apology for it.”

Cori Crider, Reprieve’s Strategic Director and an attorney for rendition victims,said: “’We tortured some folks’ is the beginning, not the end, of justice. The ‘folks’ are having their say in this letter – surely the very least we owe them is to print their names in black and white. Reprieve’s clients include people rendered as children, or pregnant women; the American people ought to know this and confront it, so we never walk down this dark road again.”

ENDS

1. For further information please contact Reprieve’s press office: (US)clemency.wells@reprieve.org.uk / (001) 929 258 2754 or (UK)alice.gillham@reprieve.org.uk / (0044) 207 553 8160

2. The full letter, as sent, can be seen here.

 

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Emergency! Take Action To OPPOSE Solitary Confinement Legislation SB 892

Originally posted on Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity:

Please be sure to read the Five Urgent Action Requests below

On behalf of California Families Against Solitary Confinement (CFASC), the Center for Human Rights and Constitutional Law, and others who joined an emergency conf call this evening to address the imminent vote by the California Assembly and Senate on SB 892 (Senator Hancock) dealing with the critical issue of solitary confinement, we want to inform you of the following and urge you to widely distribute this message to your email lists.

Issue: Between now and Sunday night (Aug 31), the CA Assembly and Senate will vote on SB 892, drafted by Senator Hancock, who got involved as a result of the prisoners’ hunger strike in the summer of 2013 to denounce the conditions in solitary confinement and CA’s unique “gang validation” policy. California’s Department of Corrections (CDCR) has what is probably the WORST, MOST COSTLY, AND MOST INHUMANE solitary…

View original 491 more words

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment